Getting Started With Using Your Electric Dog Collar!
This article serves as an initial guide to use your electric dog training collar so that you can start the training of your dog to make it well trained and exhibit good behavior and not a headache for the people surrounding your house:
- Read the instructions manual of the dog collar carefully and understand how it works starting from the way the collar should be tied to the dog to the settings which should be made for various shock levels
- Put the battery inside the transmitter and check if the collar works, you can touch it yourself to check if it is working and it is better to keep it turned off before tying it to your dog.
- Now attach the collar to the dog’s neck and make sure the prongs touch slightly its skin so that it is not too tight or too loose for the dog otherwise it can lead to dog’s discomfort or breathing problems. It is better not to turn the collar on for a week or so as it makes you understand if the dog is comfortable with the collar and it is better to not make it realize that the collar is attached to give it shocks. Your objective should be to make the dog comfortable with the collar and not injure him by starting excessive shocks too early
- Now after a week, starting to use the collar by pressing the button on the transmitter by starting with the lowest possible shocks and see the behavior of the dog and how it responds to it. If your dog does not respond at all you might want to increase the voltage. Make sure that you press the button when the dog is not looking at you so that it realizes that the shocks come when it does something bad e.g. trying to dig the back of your lawn, you do not want your dog to see you as a punisher.
- Train your dog to reduce the bad behavior as excessive barking by pressing button for 1-2 seconds and make it understand that this behavior is not appropriate e.g. when it follows your command, give it a treat or pat on the back or its favorite snack or play with it. Lower the use of shock collar to the point when it understands your commands.