Beautiful ebooks For Young People
Tutored and mentored by a volunteer corps of design, publishing, and library professionals, young people gain practical experience, learn marketable skills, enage with interesting ideas, and help to sustain and expand the rich literary inheritance which belong to us all.
Over the past decade, millions of books has been converted to digital form by public and private efforts. But for the most part, this rich legacy is only available as either full page images with limited portability or poorly rendered textual e-books where the book’s original aesthetic functionality and design are lost. beebooks bridges this gap by combining technology with human skill and judgement to create new e-books which are:
- Functionally beautiful, using design to enhance readability;
- Selectively enriched with content and context from multiple sources;
- Portable across a wide range of reading devices, displays, and formats;
- Quotable, enabling scholars and students to refer consistently to the converted text;
- Accessible to differently abled individuals;
- Open for further enhancement or translation.
beebooks provides the technological infrastructure and organizational support for local sites to do the work of making beautiful ebooks. Initially starting with the over 2 million works at the Internet Archive, beebooks will evolve with the interest and opportunity of its contributing sites. To join our work and start your own beebooks worksite,